Residents irate over unhealthy living conditions

Havenside resident, Sudeshan Moodley, is seen near the burst sewer.

Irate residents living in the Havenside area are up in arms after their concerns, regarding a burst sewer pipe, were not addressed promptly by the relevant authorities.

Airing their concerns about the health related hazards they face due to the ongoing problem, the residents claimed that they had notified the ward councillor as well as the municipality about the issue yet nothing has been done to date.

Speaking about the health hazard, Teddy Naidoo, who lives in close proximity to the burst sewer in Almond Road, said he is tired of notifying the relevant authorities about the problem.

“I have informed various councillors and the health department who have not done anything to rectify the problem. The area is infested with mosquitos and this poses a huge threat in terms of the health of residents in the area. The stench is unbearable and soon summer will be in full swing, and the stench will force us to close our doors,” he said.

Naidoo said his wife suffers from a common bacterial skin infection called Cellulitis, and he is afraid that her health will deteriorate due to the unhygienic living conditions.

“Cellulitis may first appear as a red, swollen area that feels hot and tender to the touch. The redness and swelling often spreads rapidly and is very painful. Being bitten by a mosquito can be a serious health hazard for my wife and we urge the authorities to solve this problem before residents are further affected,” he concluded.

 

 

 

  AUTHOR
Yoshini Perumal
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Woman kidnapped and assaulted, suspects granted bail