JUST IN: Havenside rape accused denied bail

The schedule six bail application of the Havenside father accused of raping two of his minor daughters swung in the favour of the state after Magistrate ZE Zondi declined bail to the 50-year-old.

The case was transferred to Durban Regional Court, where the man will appear on April 10. In his ruling, the magistrate said the accused failed to prove exceptional circumstances with regards to his bail application.

He also stressed that the accused was dishonest when he was providing the court with crucial information when he failed to disclose that he was convicted on three separate cases previously.

Two of the convictions were for assault cases in 1982 and 1989, and one was for being in possession of dagga in 1995.

“It is still a bone of contention in respect of the applicant’s (accused) previous cases as both assault and rape have a common element of violence,” added Mag Zondi.

Legal Aid defence attorney, Mr Mncwabe’s included in his closing statement that the accused misses his family, however, the state prosecutor, SP Ngcamu, made reference that some members of his family are the complainants in the matter.

In closing, Mag Zondi said, “The nature of the crime is very serious. If convicted, the accused will be imprisoned for a very long time, and he may even face a life sentence.”

Meanwhile, community leaders and residents, who were following the case since the man was arrested, welcomed the bail ruling.

“We are glad that this monster got what he deserves. We have renewed faith in the justice system and pray that the two children get the justice that they deserve,” they said.

  AUTHOR
Yoshini Perumal
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Recommended Story x
JUST IN: Three injured in M1 Havenside crash